In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, digital events are increasingly becoming the new normal, and with many benefits, it looks like this trend is likely to stay long afterwards..
Following on from our virtual festival this spring, we asked our event organisers to share some of their top tips for hosting a successful online event with us. Here they are:
- Have a look at your competitors or other reputable online events hosts to gain inspiration.
- Give yourself enough time to promote and generate noise around your event in advance – aim for a couple of weeks at least.
- Aim for twice as many attendees as you have capacity as actual attendance rates can sometimes be more than 50% lower than the number of registrations.
- Offer people the chance to pre-submit questions or challenges they face to help shape the content of the event and feed into the Q&As at the end.
- Provide attendees with a lot of pre-event information to set the scene, help them orientate and get the most out of the session.
- Have a trial run of your event to test the software and ensure you have a structure in place so you keep to time and avoid any awkward pauses.
- Make your event as interactive as possible! Just a few of the ways you could do this include:
– Use breakout sessions to encourage conversation between attendees
– Run polls throughout
– Encourage introductions using the chat function
- Create regular opportunities for your audience to ask questions.
- Have pre-prepared ‘chat’ for the first few minutes whilst waiting for everyone to join, or play music – there’s nothing worse than an awkward silence.
- Make sure all speakers have good broadband connections, are in a quiet undisturbed space and are comfortable with the platform.
- Have a primary host who can then pass over to speakers when it is their turn rather than having multiple hosts to avoid any confusion.
- Keep it short and sweet. Zoom fatigue is real!
We’ll be hosting our autumn Festival from the 21st September – 2nd October, with both online and physical events able to take part. Event submissions are now open, all you need to do is submit all of the details using this form before the 26th of August and we will then promote it as part of our events programme.