In April 2021, G7 Digital and Technology Ministers committed to a G7 Roadmap for Cooperation on Data Free Flow with Trust, which sets out a joint plan of action in four cross-cutting policy areas.
On data localisation specifically, the G7 agreed to build an evidence base on the impact of such measures and alternative policy responses. The multi-stakeholder roundtable will have a particular focus on the impacts of data localisation on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises at the cornerstone of G7 economies and societies: a critical discussion as we look to build back better, safer and stronger from Covid-19.
The event is being organised by the Department of Digital, Culture Media and Sport in partnership with techUK.
Minister of State, DCMS, Julia Lopez will provide opening remarks, with stakeholders from business, academia and government on two following panels chaired by Tech UK:
- Panel 1: The impact of data localisation on MSMEs
- Sabina Ciofu, Head of EU and Trade Policy, techUK (moderator)
- Hosuk Lee-Makiyama, Director, European Centre for International Political Economy
- Gaynor Jeffery, Deputy Director, Digital Trade and Telecoms, Department of International Trade
- David Smith, Founder and CEO, MLtwist
- Panel 2: Alternative policy responses to data localisation
- Sue Daley, Director for Tech and Innovation, techUK (moderator)
- Vivienne Artz, Non-executive Director of Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation, is Chair of the International Regulatory Strategy Group Data Working Group, Vice Chair on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- Zandra Moore, CEO, Panintelligence
- Nigel Cory, Associate Director for trade policy, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
- Lorrayne Porciuncula, Director, Datasphere Initiative at Internet & Jurisdiction Policy Network
G7 Digital & Technology Roundtable – Investigating Data Localisation Impacts on MSMEs and Alternative Policy Responses
22nd Sep 2021 12:00pm - 1:30pm
Hosted by techUK